CPD can take many different forms and varies for each individual; every development plan is as unique as a fingerprint. We've therefore designed our CPD scheme to reflect the many different career paths in banking.
- Good for you. Map your own career path and invest in ‘Brand Me’.
- Good for us. As befits our Royal Charter, we have a duty to act in the public interest. We only allow members who constantly update their skills and display ethical behaviour to use our professional designation.
- Good for others. Your customers can be confident that they are supported by a professional, ethical and trustworthy individual.
You can find out more in our CPD brochure 'Where will your career take you?'
CPD resources can be found by logging into the members' area of our website. Once you've logged in, click on 'My CPD' where you'll have access to a wide range of resources which includes reference books and articles, to videos and e-learning. Our resources are all designed to support your professional development.
“Continuing professional development (CPD) is the means by which members of professional associations maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge and skills and develop the personal qualities required in their professional lives...” PARN (Professional Associations Research Network).
Our scheme runs from 1 January to 31 December and here are the annual targets for each membership category. This includes those members working part-time.Fellows & Chartered Banker Members HoursProfessionalism & Ethics 5My CPD 30Total 35Professional Mortgage Adviser Members HoursProfessionalism & Ethics 5Mortgage Related Activity 14My CPD 16Total 35Members working for a CPD Approved Employer only need to record 5 hours of Professionalism & Ethics HoursProfessionalism & Ethics 5Employer’s CPD Contribution 30Total 35Professional Financial Adviser (PFA)Members HoursStructured 21Unstructured 14Total 35PFA members have a separate CPD portal to help them meet the compulsory regulations set out by the FCA.
The following membership categories have to complete the CPD scheme to retain their professional designation.
• Members• Certificated Members who want to use a professional designation including: Professional Mortgage Advisers who hold the Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (MAPC)• Associates• Fellows• Retired Members - who want to use their professional designation• International Members – Our partner institutes support our CPD scheme
Yes - our scheme runs from 1st January to 31st December for general membership. You can pro-rata your hours if you join the Institute part-way through the year.
As stated in our SPS Guidance we acknowledge and accept CPD that you have completed from other sources including your network or employer. You can find out more on page 9. We also have access to the CPD records for those advisers who were using the Competent Adviser portal and are chosen as part of our 10% sample. There is no need to record the details again on the new system and the work you have completed counts towards your CPD requirement.
We expect all of our members to complete and review their plan annually, apart from the following:
- Retired Members do not need to complete our CPD if they do not wish to use the Chartered Banker designation. They may still use the designatory letters MCIBS or FCIBS if they are eligible. For further information please read our Guidance for Retired Members.
- Affiliates and student members.
Yes. The following categories have specific arrangements:
- CPD Approved Employer Scheme, members who work for a CPD Approved employer only need to show they have completed five hours of Professionalism & Ethics. Professional Mortgage Adviser (PMA) members also need to show they have completed 14 hours of Mortgage related activity.
Yes and you can also attach certificates and logs that you have completed elsewhere to your own area of our site. If you work for a CPD Approved Employer you only need to record five hours of Professionalism & Ethics activity.
Yes. See My CPD for more examples.
No. The requirement of 35 hours applies to the specific CPD activity undertaken in each calendar year.
You can register your CPD details on our online log in the members' area. Professional Financial Adviser (PFA) members should continue to use their specialist portal: https://cbi.insight-cpd.co.uk/cbi.aspx
Other useful CPD information:
What our members think...