Diploma in Professional Financial Advice
The Diploma in Professional Financial Advice is awarded by the Institute and delivered in collaboration with Caliqual, a specialist provider of education and testing for financial services. This is a high quality, flexible financial advice qualification, structured in six bite-sized units, that meets the qualification requirements of the Financial Conduct Authority, for those who wish to provide regulated financial advice in the UK. Further details of the FCA's requirements for financial advisers can be found here.
After completing the Diploma, learners will be eligible to apply for a Statement of Professional Standing (SPS). All retail investment advisers must hold an SPS issued by an Accredited Body such as the Chartered Banker Institute. The SPS confirms that holders have:
- Adhered to the Financial Conduct Authority ethical standards
- The required qualifications, including gap-fill
- Completed appropriate continuing professional development.
For those looking to further their career, the Diploma in Professional Financial Advice can lead to further study with the Institute towards Chartered Banker status, which is awarded on sucessful completion of the Advanced Diploma in Banking and Leadership in a Digital Age.
- All learners are required to be members of the Institute.
- The Diploma in Professional Financial Advice can be studied on a distance-learning basis, allowing those studying to control the location and pace of their studies.
- Examinations are taken with Caliqual, with units one-five available online and unit six taken at an examination centre. A breakdown of examination requirements can be found here.
- Units one - five cost £160 per unit and unit six costs £180. All fees include learning materials and an examination attempt.
The Diploma in Professional Financial Advice can be studied on a distance-learning basis, allowing you to control the location and pace of your studies.
Learning is undertaken in manageable chunks, split into six compulsory units, which cover all regulated areas of financial advice:
- Financial Services, Regulation and Ethics
- Personal Taxation
- Investment Principles and Risk
- Pensions and Retirement Planning
- Financial Protection
- Application of Professional Financial Advice.
You do not need to register for all units at once. You can register for one or two modules at a time to fit around work and personal commitments.
There are no requirements for prior educational attainment, noting that the level of study is broadly equivalent to the initial stage of a UK undergraduate degree and requires approximately 390 hours of learning, typically studied over 12 months.
For the Diploma in Professional Financial Advice, all six units are required. Units from other Awarding Bodies, that cover 100% of the learning outcomes and can be combined with the Diploma in Professional Financial Advice units, will be accepted towards the diploma as transfer credits. For a detailed list of all accrediation of prior learning (APL) that we accept against our units, please view Transferring Credits to Caliqual.
All learning material workbooks are accessed via the Adviser Learning Centre.
You will also have access to your own personal area of the Chartered Banker Institute's website 'My member area', where you will find a wide variety of CPD materials including videos, case studies, CPD tool kits and much more.