Professional Banker Certificate
The Professional Banker Certificate offers a broad foundation of learning suitable for individuals new to or already working in retail, business and private banking environments. It has been designed in close consultation with the banking sector. It is also appropriate for those in specialised areas such as IT, HR and Marketing, who wish to gain insight into the ‘bigger picture’ of the sector they work in.
- Assessed by a two-hour online exam comprising 100 multiple choice questions with a minimum pass mark of 60%.
- Examinations can be taken at any one of our examination centres throughout the UK. Results will be available immediately.
- Registration is valid for 12 months. Learners are expected to sit and pass the examination within that time.
- The module costs £225 which includes your first exam entry fee. Exam resits cost £130 per module.
- In order to study the Professional Banker Certificate you must become a member of the Institute.
The Professional Banker Certificate develops understanding and appreciation of the banking sector, critical to effective performance. Topics studied include:
- Professional Ethics, Culture and Conduct in Banking
- The Principles of Credit, Effective Lending and Security
- The Regulatory and Legal Framework
- How Banking and the Wider Economy Interact
- Effective Relationships with Customers
- Risk Management in Banking
- The Role of Risk in Banking
Download the module specification for further information:Professional Banker - Module Specification
- There are no formal entry requirements however you must be willing to put in the necessary study hours.
- You can study this qualification whether you have joined a bank straight from education or have previous financial services knowledge and experience.
- Work experience is helpful but not essential as all learning materials are provided as part of registration.
Achieving the Professional Banker Certificate will:
- Show your commitment to the values, attitudes and behaviours of a Professional Banker.
- Demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of key issues in banking practice and your ability to apply these to benefit your customer and organisation.
- Provide evidence of your investment in your career.
You will receive a comprehensive workbook to support your learning. You will also be given access to the Institute’s website where you can find more online support, including mock exams to help you revise.
View a sample of the learning material that is available to you:Professional Banker Certificate - The Business of Banking and the Economic Environment (Chapter 1)
Please note: No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored on a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means whatsoever, without written permission from the Chartered Banker Institute.
“Over 70% (71%) feel more confident and professional in their role as a result of completing their qualifications”
*Based on a 2016 Chartered Banker Institute membership survey