We believe that all Members of our Institute should aspire to become Fellows. It is the highest status conferred by the Institute and is a measure of the seniority of the holder. To be elected a Fellow you must be considered by our Council to have made a significant contribution to banking, and to the objectives of the Institute.
To be eligible for Fellowship of the Institute, nominees must hold an advanced professional qualification which includes study of professionalism and ethics and appropriate coverage of credit and lending. Nominees must also hold Chartered Banker status.
Nominees who attained Chartered Banker status by completing the Chartered Banker Diploma or a predecessor qualification will require five years’ post qualifying experience to be eligible for Fellowship.
Nominees who attained Chartered Banker status by recognition of a qualification equivalent to the Chartered Banker Diploma will require to have ten years’ experience in banking.
Like all members, our Fellows demonstrate a commitment to continuing professional development and must abide by our Code of Professional Conduct. Fellows are expected to act as role models and mentors for others in the profession, as champions for banking professionalism and as ambassadors for the Institute and wider banking profession.
You can recognise one of our Fellows through their use the designatory letters FCIBS after their name, and those qualified as such, may use the professional designation Chartered Banker.
- With Fellowship comes additional benefits. The status earned through being a Fellow is recognised as one of the most prestigious in the banking and finance sector worldwide.
- There are currently circa 1000 Institute Fellows, including many of the UK’s top bankers and financiers. Being a Fellow provides access to unparalleled networking opportunities.
Election to Fellowship is a mark of achievement and success. It is also an expectation of service. The role of a Fellow is to contribute, in whatever way they are able, to promoting and achieving the aims and objectives of the institute. This contribution should include the encouragement of colleagues to become professionally qualified and engaged as members of the Institute.
We ask that our Fellows:
- actively promote the Institute whenever and wherever the opportunity arises;
- mentor, encourage and support both fellow members of the Institute and the wider banking profession;
- encourage others to professionally qualify with the Institute, and help to develop and nurture them during their careers; and
- support our work locally through active attendance, involvement and willing advice.
Fellowship is about promoting the high ethical, professional and technical standards needed to rebuild public confidence and trust in the banking profession and growing the Institute so our influence and expertise make a positive difference to the culture of our financial services industry.
If you would like to be considered for Fellowship, or to nominate one of our members, please download the Fellowship Nomination Pack.
Become a Chartered Banker
Chartered Banker by Experience is designed for experienced banking professionals who wish to gain Chartered Banker status and become members of the Chartered Banker Institute. The qualification is intended for individuals who:
- Have at least 10 years of business experience, including 5 years of relevant banking and financial services experience;
- Want recognition for their expertise, experience and contribution to banking;
- Aim to meet current and emerging regulatory requirements for the demonstration of high professional standards; and
- Seek an accelerated, flexible yet rigorous route to Chartered Banker status.
Find out more here.