The Chartered Banker Institute is a global professional education body for bankers, based in the UK. Established by Royal Charter, we are a not-for-profit educational charity with a mission to enhance and sustain socially purposeful, responsible, professional banking in the public interest. We do this by developing and supporting bankers’ education and professional development throughout their careers, in particular in the areas of:
- Core banking skills, including credit and lending, and risk management
- Professional ethics, culture and conduct
- Digital finance
- Green and sustainable finance, aligned with the UN Principles for Responsible Banking and UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Bank management and leadership
We are the largest UK professional body for bankers, with more than 33,000 members – individual banking professionals who make an ongoing commitment to developing their customer-focused ethical professionalism.
We are proud to be oldest banking institute in the world, and proud to be the only organisation in the world approved by the UK’s Privy Council to award the “Chartered Banker” designation to members meeting the highest standards of professionalism. Founded in 1875 as the Institute of Bankers in Scotland, our work today is as important as it was 140 years ago. Our global impact and influence continues to grow, with members and students in over 100 countries worldwide.
To mark our centenary in 1975, we received our Royal Charter, recognising the Institute’s substantial contribution to developing the practice and profession of banking. In 2018 we were granted a Supplementary Charter, acknowledging our wider, global remit and role.
Our work as a professional education body complements and supports the work of global policymakers, regulators and others to develop a sustainable banking industry aligned with the objectives of the Paris Agreement and UN Sustainable Development Goals, based on strong and universal principles of stewardship, prudence and professionalism. We do this by:
- Providing world-class initial and continuing professional development, professional membership and lifelong learning to help individuals develop and apply a professional, responsible approach to banking throughout their career, through a wide range of study programmes and professional banking qualifications;
- Working with banks and other financial services organisations to accredit and certify learning and development programmes that meet the Institute’s high standards, and are aligned with the principles and values we espouse;
- Working with banking institutes in other countries, universities in the UK and overseas and with other educational partners to raise standards of banking education and training worldwide, especially in the areas of professional ethics and sustainable, responsible banking; and
- Supporting our members – the professional bankers on whom the future of banking depends – throughout their careers.
Together, the Chartered Banker Institute and our members are proud of the professionalism we bring to banking around the world, and of the contribution we are making individually and collectively, to a sustainable banking profession.
See what we've done in the last year in our latest issue of the Your Institute Brochure.