Certificate in Climate Risk
Managing climate-related risks and supporting the transition to a low-carbon world are amongst our most significant global challenges. Central banks and financial regulators consider the identification, measurement and disclosure of these risks to be a priority. Recognising the strategic importance of this topic, the Chartered Body Alliance have developed their first joint qualification, the Certificate in Climate Risk.
First launched in 2021, the Certificate in Climate Risk has been substantially updated for 2022/23 to encompass a wide range of developments in our understanding of climate change and its impacts, the rapidly-evolving policy and regulatory landscape relating to climate risks, and the substantial progress in finance sector practice in addressing climate and broader sustainability risks.
This Study Guide and course have been revised to include:
- The IPCC’s most recent assessment of climate science and the impacts of climate change (AR6);
- Policy and regulatory developments at global, regional (EU) and national levels, including new disclosure and stress testing requirements, and emerging international standards;
- Developments in data availability, quality and analytics;
- Evolving finance sector approaches to climate risk governance and management;
- The growth of finance sector alliances and other groups to address climate and other sustainability issues.
The aim of the qualification is to develop the learner’s professional knowledge, understanding and skills relating to climate change, climate risk and sustainable finance, with a view to supporting customers, clients, colleagues, and communities with the transition to a sustainable, low-carbon world.
This qualification is aimed at all financial services professionals globally who have an understanding of risk management principles and wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of climate risk. With broad financial services sector coverage, including bankers, insurers, investment managers, central bankers and regulators, risk managers, analysts and consultants.
Hear from our CEO, Simon Thompson about our new Certificate in Climate in Climate Risk.
The Certificate in Climate Risk contributes to the Professional Banker Diploma when combined with Professional Banker Certificate 2019 (or an earlier version of the Professional Banker Certificate) and a second Professional Banker Diploma module.
Information for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents
It is not currently possible to claim subsidies for this programme through the IBF-STS subsidy programme. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
If this changes, we will provide further information here.
If you are based in Australia or New Zealand, please enrol via FINSA for this course, by following this link: Financial Services Short Courses | FINSIA
- Updated for 2022/23
- Globally-recognised qualification - awarded by the Chartered Banker Institute, developed by the Chartered Body Alliance.
- Prepare for a career in climate risk - this qualification provides an overview of the sector and will help kick-start your career.
- Available to all - no previous knowledge of green finance is required, but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
- Fast and affordable recognition - the certificate can be studied for using online resources at your own pace (130 hours of study time required), and is assessed via a 1.5 hour, 75-question multiple choice test, delivered online via remote invigilation with instant results.
- Access to higher level qualifications - The certificate may be studied on a standalone basis but can also act as a contributory module to the three modules required for the Professional Banker Diploma offered by the Chartered Banker Institute
- The Certificate costs £625 per candidate, including all learning materials and the first sitting of your exam. Exam resits cost £145 – 75 MCQs for 1 hour, 30 mins.
- In order to study the Certificate you must become a member of the Institute. An annual subscription fee of £33.00 will be payable upon registration as part of the enrolment fees;
- From 13 Feb 2023, members will now receive a digital certificate for this qualification via email usually within 5 days of successfully being awarded the qualification. To find out more about the new digital certificates, click here.
- Upon completion, learners will be entitled to use the designation Cert CRP (Certified Climate Risk Professional).
View the Climate Risk Module Specification here:
The Certificate in Climate Risk syllabus covers:
- The emergence of climate change and its impacts on the environment, economy, society, and the financial services sector
- The ability to identify, describe and classify climate-related financial and non-financial risks, and the impacts of these on the economy, society and the financial services sector
- The challenges in measuring, monitoring and reporting climate risks, and the availability and quality of data
- Identifying common approaches to modelling climate risks, including the use of scenario analysis
- Examining approaches and responses to climate risk at global, regional and national levels, and their impacts on the financial services sector
- Exploring approaches to defining, developing, articulating and embedding climate risk appetite, governance and culture
- Studying opportunities for the financial services sector in supporting the transition to a sustainable, low carbon world.
Note: To achieve the Professional Banker Diploma, you must complete the 2019 or earlier version of the Professional Banker Certificate and two further modules.
View the Climate Risk Module Specification here:
There are no formal entry requirements but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
The Certificate is aimed at all financial services professionals globally who have an understanding of risk management principles and wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of climate risk. With broad financial services sector coverage, including bankers, insurers, investment managers, central bankers and regulators, risk managers, analysts and consultants. Learners may also wish to explore the Chartered Banker Institute’s Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance as an introductory topic.
Your learning resources include:
- an online workbook with a range of functional learning activities to work through at your own pace
- current, industry focussed case studies
- interactive e-learning modules, including audio and visual resources, and online quizzes to consolidate your learning
- online Knowledge checks to enhance your understanding of key concepts
questions to aid exam preparation – a checklist of questions, linked directly to the assessment criteria in the module speculation, collated to support learning and prepare students for the exam.
- personal reflection tools to support the application of learning at work
The Climate Risk learning programme is broken down into twelve units and can be completed in as little as 12 weeks.