Certificate in Climate Risk
Managing climate-related risks and supporting the transition to a low-carbon world are amongst our most significant global challenges. Central banks and financial regulators consider the identification, measurement and disclosure of these risks to be a priority.
Recognising the strategic importance of this topic, the Chartered Body Alliance have developed their first joint qualification, the Certificate in Climate Risk.
The aim of the qualification is to develop the learner’s professional knowledge, understanding and skills relating to climate change, climate risk and sustainable finance, with a view to supporting customers, clients, colleagues, and communities with the transition to a sustainable, low-carbon world.
This qualification is aimed at financial services risk professionals (or aspiring risk professionals) globally who wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge of climate risk.
Download Module Spec
Hear from our CEO, Simon Thompson about our new Certificate in Climate in Climate Risk.
- Globally-recognised qualification - awarded by the Chartered Banker Institute, developed by the Chartered Body Alliance.
- Prepare for a career in climate risk - this qualification provides an overview of the sector and will help kick-start your career.
- Available to all - no previous knowledge of green finance is required, but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
- Fast and affordable recognition - the certificate can be studied for using online resources at your own pace (130 hours of study time required), and is assessed via a 1.5 hour, 75-question multiple choice test, delivered online via remote invigilation with instant results.
- Access to higher level qualifications - The certificate may be studied on a standalone basis but can also act as a contributory module to the three modules required for the Professional Banker Diploma offered by the Chartered Banker Institute
- The Certificate costs £565 per candidate, including all learning materials and the first sitting of your exam.
- In order to study the Certificate you must become a member of the Institute. An annual subscription fee of £30.00 will be payable upon registration as part of the enrolment fees;
- Upon completion, learners will be entitled to use the designation CRP (Climate Risk Professional).
Download the brochure here:Brochure
On completion of this module, the learner will be able to:
- describe climate change and its impacts on the environment, economy, society, and the financial services sector
- identify, describe and classify climate-related financial and non-financial risks, and the impacts of these on the economy, society and the financial services sector
- examine the challenges in measuring, monitoring and reporting climate risks, and the availability and quality of data
- outline common approaches to modelling climate risks, including the use of scenario analysis
- examine regulatory approaches and responses to climate risk at global, regional and national levels, and their impacts on the financial services sector
- explore approaches to defining, developing, articulating and embedding climate risk appetite, governance and culture
- discuss the opportunities for the financial services sector in supporting the transition to a sustainable, lowcarbon world.
There are no formal entry requirements but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
The qualification is designed for financial services risk professionals (or aspiring risk professionals) with an understanding of risk management principles and practices who wish to develop their knowledge of climate risk and demonstrate their expertise – wherever they are in the world. Firms could also use the qualification in induction or ongoing training to increase their staff knowledge in this area and demonstrate their commitment to tackling climate risk.
Although no prior knowledge of climate risk is required, completing the Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance would provide a useful introduction to the subject.
• an online study guide – for core reading and learning activities.
• interactive eLearning modules, including audio and visual resources, and online quizzes and knowledge checks to enhance understanding of key concepts.