Certificate in Climate Risk
Managing climate-related risks and supporting the transition to a low-carbon world are amongst our most significant global challenges. Central banks and financial regulators consider the identification, measurement and disclosure of these risks to be a priority.
Recognising the strategic importance of this topic, the Chartered Body Alliance have developed their first joint qualification, the Certificate in Climate Risk.
The aim of the qualification is to develop the learner’s professional knowledge, understanding and skills relating to climate change, climate risk and sustainable finance, with a view to supporting customers, clients, colleagues, and communities with the transition to a sustainable, low-carbon world.
This qualification is aimed at financial services risk professionals (or aspiring risk professionals) globally who wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge of climate risk.
Download Module Spec
Hear from our CEO, Simon Thompson about our new Certificate in Climate in Climate Risk.
- Globally-recognised qualification - awarded by the Chartered Banker Institute, developed by the Chartered Body Alliance.
- Prepare for a career in climate risk - this qualification provides an overview of the sector and will help kick-start your career.
- Available to all - no previous knowledge of green finance is required, but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
- Fast and affordable recognition - the certificate can be studied for using online resources at your own pace (130 hours of study time required), and is assessed via a 1.5 hour, 75-question multiple choice test, delivered online via remote invigilation with instant results.
- Access to higher level qualifications - The certificate may be studied on a standalone basis but can also act as a contributory module to the three modules required for the Professional Banker Diploma offered by the Chartered Banker Institute
- The Certificate costs £565 per candidate, including all learning materials and the first sitting of your exam.
- In order to study the Certificate you must become a member of the Institute. An annual subscription fee of £30.00 will be payable upon registration as part of the enrolment fees;
- Upon completion, learners will be entitled to use the designation Cert CRP (Certified Climate Risk Professional).
Download the brochure here:Brochure
The Certificate in Climate Risk syllabus includes:
- The emergence of climate change, global warming and climate risk as global political, economic and societal priorities and the impacts of the financial services sector on climate change
- Climate risk impacts on governments, financial and non-financial firms, individual households, and consumers
- Wider environmental risks to the financial services sector
- The EU Taxonomy for sustainable activities, The Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and the challenges of measuring, monitoring and disclosing climate risk
- Financial models and how they can be developed to understand the potential impacts of climate change on financial institutions
- Using scenario analysis in Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) reports
- The Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
- The Paris Agreement Capital Transition Assessment (PACTA) toolkit
- Emerging issues and trends in regulatory approaches to climate risk
- How central banks and regulators can best address climate risks and facilitate the net-zero transition
- Approaches to the strategy, governance and management of climate risk, and sustainability more generally, in financial institutions
- The role of a finance and risk professional, green and sustainable finance principles and values, and ethical and moral responsibilities.
There are no formal entry requirements but an understanding of risk management principles and financial services practices is necessary.
The Certificate is aimed at all financial services professionals globally who have an understanding of risk management principles and wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of climate risk. With broad financial services sector coverage, including bankers, insurers, investment managers, central bankers and regulators, risk managers, analysts and consultants. Learners may also wish to explore the Chartered Banker Institute’s Certificate in Green and Sustainable Finance as an introductory topic.
Your learning resources include:
- an online workbook with a range of functional learning activities to work through at your own pace
- current, industry focussed case studies
- interactive e-learning modules, including audio and visual resources, and online quizzes to consolidate your learning
- online Knowledge checks to enhance your understanding of key concepts
- questions to aid exam preparation – a checklist of questions, linked directly to the assessment criteria in the module specification, collated to support learning and prepare students for the exam.
- personal reflection tools to support the application of learning at work
The Climate Risk learning programme is broken down into twelve units. Although your qualification enrolment is valid for a year, if you were to study a unit per week, you may find you could complete the programme in just 9 weeks. To help you plan your learning journey, set yourself some study goals in terms of what you will do and when to complete the programme.