Chartered Banker by Experience
Chartered Banker by Experience is designed for experienced banking professionals who wish to gain Chartered Banker status and become members of the Chartered Banker Institute. The qualification is intended for individuals who:
- Have at least 10 years of business experience, including 5 years of relevant banking and financial services experience;
- Want recognition for their expertise, experience and contribution to banking;
- Aim to meet current and emerging regulatory requirements for the demonstration of high professional standards; and
- Seek an accelerated, flexible yet rigorous route to Chartered Banker status.
The Chartered Banker by Experience qualification is designed to be challenging and intense. Most candidates are expected to complete the qualification within 12 weeks, despite having busy professional and personal lives.
It provides the opportunity for experienced bankers to reflect on their competence and expertise, and their experience in and contribution to banking. It also allows them to consider how their current and future career in banking, and their future personal and professional development, can be shaped by participating in this qualification.
Enhanced, accelerated routes are offered for holders of the CB:PSB’s Advanced Standard for Professional Bankers.
Before you apply
Before clicking the apply button, please ensure you have read and understood the detailed eligibility criteria. You will also need to download the declaration form. The completed declaration must be uploaded, together with a detailed CV, as part of your application.
Please see an example C.V. here, showing the level of detail that we require.Example CV.doc
Please see the below declaration form.
Chartered Banker by Experience is the flexible, accelerated yet rigorous route to Chartered Banker designed for experienced banking professionals. Following pre-entry screening to ensure the suitability of candidates, there are three steps to complete to become a Chartered Banker:
- Step 1: Critical Self-Evaluation, where candidates reflect on their experience, expertise and professional practice
- Step 2: Professional Ethics Assignment
- Step 3: Presentation and Professional Discussion
Most candidates are expected to complete the qualification within 12 weeks and we expect all candidates to complete within 16 weeks.
- The Chartered Banker by Experience qualification costs £2,495.
- In order to complete Chartered Banker by Experience, you must become a member of the Institute. An annual subscription fee of £60 will become payable upon registration.
Becoming a Chartered Banker
Successfully completing the Chartered Banker by Experience qualification means you will become a Chartered Banker, join the rapidly growing Chartered Banker Institute of more than 30,000 members, and be eligible to use the ‘Chartered Banker’ designation for as long as you continue to meet the Institute’s ongoing requirements. In brief, these are to:
- Make an annual commitment to follow the Chartered Banker Code of Professional Conduct;
- Complete and record a minimum of 35 hours of continuing professional development (CPD) each year; and
- Remain a member of the Institute in good standing. Chartered Banker membership is currently £132 per year.
Three Steps to Chartered Banker
Following pre-entry screening to ensure the suitability of candidates, there are three steps to complete to become a Chartered Banker, which should take approximately 12 weeks.
Step 1: Critical Self-Evaluation
In the Critical Self-Evaluation, you will complete 3 reflective statements, each of between 800-1200 words, in which we ask you to:
- Look back at your experience and key events during your professional career to date;
- Critically reflect on and analyse your experience from different perspectives;
- Think carefully about what your experience and key events has meant for you and your current professional practice; and
- Demonstrate what you have learned from your experience, and how you apply these lessons in your professional practice today.
Step 2: Professional Ethics Assignment
In the Professional Ethics Assignment, we ask you to:
- Describe the key principles of ethical and professional behaviour in banking environment and explain why these are important; and
- Reflect on situations at work where you have been faced with ethical dilemmas, consider how you dealt with these and how these have impacted your professional practice today.
We provide you with a copy of the Institute’s Professionalism & Ethics study guide, and access to our wide range of online resources including the Institute’s Ethics, Culture and Conduct Toolkit, to help you complete the Professional Ethics assignment.
Step 3: Presentation and Professional Discussion
Approximately 3-4 weeks after completing your Critical Self-Evaluation and Professional Ethics Assignment, you will meet your assessor to explore in depth, your experience, expertise and suitability to become a Chartered Banker. To complete the qualification within 12 weeks your Critical Self-Evaluation and Professional Ethics Assignment should be submitted by week 8.
Please note for international applications, step three will be carried out via Skype.
You should set aside at least 3 hours for the meeting with your assessor, which comprises two components:
Your presentation should be based on the Professional Ethics Assignment that you have completed, and should last around 30 minutes, including time for questions and discussion with your assessor.
b) Professional Discussion
Your Professional Discussion with your assessor will last for up to 2 hours, and is designed to give you the opportunity to demonstrate in detail how your experience meets the Institute’s requirements for the award of Chartered Banker status.
Following your professional discussion, you will receive confirmation of your assessors’ decision within 4 weeks.
Download a more detailed version of the three steps to Chartered Banker with information on the criteria for success.3 Steps to Chartered Banker
Yes, if you have at least 10 years of business experience, including 5 years of relevant banking and financial services experience, and want to gain Chartered Banker status via a flexible, accelerated route.
Detailed Experience RequirementsCBBE - Entry requirements
If you do not quite meet the eligibility criteria but have a small knowledge gap, there is an alternative route to become a Chartered Banker, please click here to find out more.
When you submit an application for the Chartered Banker by Experience qualification you are requesting the Institute to undertake pre-entry screening. This is to assess whether you meet the criteria for the qualification. Pre-entry screening will begin from the date we officially acknowledge your application.
To ensure candidate suitability for the Chartered Banker by Experience qualification, please check your experience against our detailed requirements. When you register, you will be require to complete a declaration that you have, and can evidence if required, the relevant experience required to enter the qualification.
Should your experience not match our requirements for the qualification, you will receive a reimbursement of fees. We will deduct an administrative charge of £250 to cover the cost of the pre-screening activity.
In accordance with The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 you have a right of cancellation in respect of your application for the Chartered Banker by Experience qualification, which right shall (subject to the Regulations) expire fourteen calendar days from the day on which your order for services is accepted by the Institute. Should you wish to exercise your right to cancel, you will be charged for any work already undertaken as part of the pre-entry screening. This charge will not exceed £250 and will be deducted from any monies to be reimbursed.
Advanced Standard for Professional Bankers
If you have achieved the CB:PSB’s Advanced Standard, you are eligible for an enhanced, accelerated route and are only required to complete Step 2 (Professional Ethics assignment) and Step 3 (Presentation & Professional Discussion).
When you register for Chartered Banker by Experience, you will receive:
- individual support from your designated assessor
- advice and guidance on completing your critical self-evaluation
- a copy of the Institute’s Professionalism & Ethics study guide to help you complete the Professional Ethics assignment
- advice and guidance on preparing for your presentation and professional discussion
- access to the Institute’s comprehensive range of online communities and materials to help and support you during the programme