We offer professional body membership to all retail investment advisers who meet the required standards. Those wishing to apply to us for their Statement of Professional Standing (SPS) must:
- hold an appropriate qualification and completed any relevant gap-fill (if applicable),
- comply with the FCA’s Code of Conduct (COCON) or, if an Appointed Representative, the FCA's Statements of Principle and Code of Practice for Approved Persons [APER]
- provide confirmation of your fit and proper status from your employer (for those under the Certification Regime) or hold an individual FCA registration number and active status,
- follow our Code of Professional Conduct,
- undertake a minimum of 35 hours CPD each year, 21 of which needs to be structured, and maintain a full record throughout the year.
For more information, download our SPS Guide.
In addition to your Statement of Professional Standing and as part of your Professional Financial Adviser (PFA) Membership, you must complete and return the PFA Application Form to confirm you have complied with the mandatory FCA requirements.
As a member of our Institute you will be authorised to use the Professional Financial Adviser title, PFA designation and display the logo.
Find out more on the benefits of Membership.
Recording your CPD activity
Specific rules apply to your CPD activity. Please use the bespoke CPD
We continue to provide lots of relevant learning for you via our online learning, including relevant webinars, webcasts, e-learning and self-study suggestions. However, if you are having difficulties, perhaps due to changes in your circumstances caused by the pandemic such as those described by the FCA [see FCA note here], then please get in touch.: [email protected]