Our Institute was established in 1875, as the Institute of Bankers in Scotland. In 1976 we received our Royal Charter, updated in 1991. This sets out our responsibilities and requires us to work in the wider public interest.
To ensure we adhere to the objectives outlined in the Charter, we are governed and guided by our Council, comprising Institute members and lay representatives. As a registered charity, those on Council act as Trustees, responsible for ensuring our activities are compatible with our charitable aims, and that we comply with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.